June 3, 2013

Penn National Mile 2013 - Visit

The visit to Penn National Racecourse for the Penn mile - the half a million dollar turf mile race for 3 yrs in North America (or at least USA), was a great success. I got to take along with me several friends who were all new to horse racing and one of them showed avid interest in handicapping and also ended up placing some bets.

Here is a clip from the start of the race...
The start of the Penn Mile Race
Of course, he played big longshots and unfortunately for us, the race he bet went to the favorites in 1-2 positions. Rydilluc came first, the odds on Charming Kitten (who came 2nd) were only moderate (The other fav Noble Tune did not fire). Still, it was a fun day to be out enjoying the great weather in Hershey PA area. The track saw a good turnout of people and the track side food was quite good. I had an odd combination of food - ice cream, really good potato chips and beer. Ok ok not so healthy.. but then I cook healthy food all the time, so I took a break today!

It was cool to see Johnny Velazquez, Joel Rosario and easily identify them. I could not identify Edgar Prado (but of course, I have never seen many pics of him for some reason!). I missed seeing Javier, Luis Saez and others as I was staring at the form.

I did however, get to see a jockey objection and disqualification, so I got to see good variety at the track!

A quick clip of the horses racing down the stretch at the finish!


Without much ado, here are some pics!

  
Dirt track, and beyond that was the turf track , Spectator standing close to finish line - staking out a good location
Post parade before Race 2, I think.

  
 Dirt track with the toteboard and results monitor.

 
Rydilluc with Edgar Prado (left)  - Charming Kitten (with Joel Rosario (right)

Rydilluc, winner of the 0.5 Million Penn Turf Mile

Friends, i am in the black shirt
The Capitol Building - at night - Harrisburg PA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and opinions here!

Promotional link

www.twinspires.com

Join the Discussion